12.29.2008

He's Arrived: Noah Finn Nelson!

So, one week late on the announcement--I know, we're so sorry to have kept everyone waiting and wondering. We thank you so much for all of your phone calls and e-mails and are sorry that we haven't returned most of them . . . yet. We are just now catching our breath from the most beautifully exciting and exhausting endeavor that we've either ever experienced.

Here are the recent adventures of Noah Finn, in a nutshell:

Just hours after our post below (we highly recommend Mexican food and hanky panky for inducing labor--hee, hee), my water broke and labor simultaneously began at 9:30 p.m.

We made ourselves comfy in the livingroom--I, on the couch with the kitty cats close by breathing and listening to our meditation cds and dean, baking cookies for the nurses and packing the last few odds and ends for the hospital. Though the surges were rather strong and frequent, we hypnobirthed at home for the first 4 hours of labor.

At 1:30 a.m. the surges were becomming stronger and were timed at 1 minute long and 1 minute apart, so we headed to the hospital.

Upon arrival, the internal exam found that I was 6 cm dialted--the nurses could not believe that we had spent 60% of our labor at home on our own with no doula or midwife! They admitted us immediately and we made our way to our labor and delivery room.

My meticulously organized and labeled birthing binder (with things for Dean to hang around the room, things for him to read to me, things to give the nurses, etc.) never made it out of our bag. Active labor had begun and we were in the throws of birthing! The Dr. quickly arrived an hour later and announced that I was already 10 cm dialated, but that Noah Finn had not yet dropped into my lower pelvic area and left to give us time to "work him down".

Just a few hours later, I felt the baby bearing down and was ready to deliver. With no drugs or tearing, Noah Finn was delivered naturally after 10.5 hours of labor on December 21, at 7:50 a.m. Weighing in at 8 lbs. and 8 oz. and 20 inches long, he was much bigger and more beautiful then we had ever imagined!

BUT, duh, duh, dun--plot twist. . .

A day after delivery and still at the hospital serving the mandatory "recovery" period stay, a blood test revealed that Noah Finn tested COOMBS positive or ABO incompatible (basically, he and I have incompatible blood types--I am O+ and he is A+). The incompatibility causes my blood's antibodies to attack his and the result is a build up of bilirubins. Bilirubins are naturally occuring components in the body, but when there is too much, jaundice is the result and a period under special lights are required until the body can naturally "flush" them out via bowel movements.

So, the next thing that we knew, our new little beautiful bundle was wheeled away to sun under special lights in the Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU). After a few good days of crying, sleepless nights spent with him in the NICU and Christmas Eve and Christmas Day spent in the NICU, Dean and I were finally able to take Noah Finn home at 11:30 p.m. on Christmas Day. A visit to the Dr. yesterday for one last blood test confirmed that Noah Finn is very happy and healthy.

Our first 48 hours home have been exciting, but we are still recovering from the accrued exhaustion resulting from the birth and NICU ordeal. At least 10 loads of laundry, 100 dirty diapers and 2 continued sleepless nights later, we are happily breast feeding and cloth diapering our way through each day just happy to have him home.

Going forward, we'll do a much better job keeping this blog updated with pictures and updates--so our families do not go simply mad! Thank you all again for your love, support and concern.

For pictures of our Noah Finn,
visit our
Flickr photo album!

With Love,
Joni, Dean & Noah Finn

19 comments:

m a m a :: m i l i e u said...

Noah takes my breath away he is soooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations to you both. Love, Aunt Debbie Fallin

m a m a :: m i l i e u said...

Hey -- congrats Guys! What an ordeal, but we're glad you made it through!
It's a Hell of a ride isn't it? Our little Jonah just started smiling (see attached!) and turns 7 weeks old this Thursday.
Tempus fugit...
x
Damian Collier

m a m a :: m i l i e u said...

Congratulations! love, health and happiness to you all.

Dror

m a m a :: m i l i e u said...

HAIL NOAH FIN THE GREAT!

Best to the three of you:) good job!

Nate Flom

m a m a :: m i l i e u said...

Joni and Dean,

I am so happy you’re home. I’ve been a nervous wreck! But I didn’t want to bombard you with phone calls and text messages. He is beautiful and I can’t wait to see him in just a few weeks.

Love you all bunches!

Auntie Jess

m a m a :: m i l i e u said...

CONGRATULATIONS you guys!!! What a lovely looking lad you have there! And strong and healthy!

I'm really happy for you both... lots of love from a FREEZING cold England,

Rob

m a m a :: m i l i e u said...

Congratulations!!!

Lovely baby, lovely family!

Thank you for sharing such special time!!

Happy New Year.

Keep in touch!

Renee Cardenas

m a m a :: m i l i e u said...

He is simply gorgeous! And GREAT work to you....!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS! You are an inspiration. :)

much love,
Sara

m a m a :: m i l i e u said...

Joni!!!I'm so happy to know that everything went all right. The baby is amazingly beautiful! I'm so happy for you two!

I can't wait to see you three when I get back from Italy!

Kisses,
Marta

m a m a :: m i l i e u said...

He is soooo beautiful!!!!! Good job guys. We can't wait to meet him let us know when we should come with some healthy strengthening food!

I felt he was here and had to think of u so strongly and checked ur blog all the time to see what happened. So glad u went in late to the hospital- sounds like everything went really well, so glad.

Let us know when u r ready for a food visit or drop of whatever u prefer!!
Xoxo caro, Noah and tobi

m a m a :: m i l i e u said...

Congratulations! Noah is a beautiful baby. He is the exact same weight and size that Bret was; and if he had been born a few hours earlier, he could have shared Bret's birthday. Interesting. Sorry to hear about the incompatible blood problem. Years ago it was dangerous for the baby. If Valerie had had a baby, she would have had the same problem. I can't believe you were so calm and stayed at home for so long before going to the hospital. And no anesthetic!! You are one tough little lady.

Your "baby book" is great. We(I) will enjoy it over and over. Really looking forward to seeing him in person.

Lots of love from Noah's great grandparents,
Glenn & Donna

m a m a :: m i l i e u said...

Hi Joni and Dean...

Well with a swollen throat and eyes welled up with tears (no, i'm not sick!), I finally visited your blog and happily viewed each of your pictures and took in the words of your journey.

I can't express how completely in awe and proud of you two I am... Joni, handling labor the way you did was nothing short of amazing and I realize despite the constant complaining about nausea, heartburn, constipation...etc, in the early stages of your pregnancy... you truly had what it takes to bear down and do it right. I'm really proud of you and admire your strength!

And I just picture you, Dean - baking cookies for the nurses and I laugh. I know there couldn't have been a prouder daddy-to-be and now that you've become a full-on father, there's no doubt that you will know naturally what to do and how to do it! Joni and Noah Finn are lucky to have you.

Noah's beautiful and perfect and it's wonderful to see you three in your pictures - looks so natural and right.

Can't wait to meet him and see you two again. Have a great New Year!

With lots of love,
Candice

m a m a :: m i l i e u said...

Welcome to parenthood!!! This is a place where you rarely sleep and love is so thick you can taste it.....ok, that was a little gay. Congrats on everything, I'm glad to hear everything is turned out for the best!!!

Love to all of ya
DC

m a m a :: m i l i e u said...

What a story!! I'm sitting here at my desk all teary eyed..lol.

Can't wait to meet him..please bring him when you can..

Love,

Kell

m a m a :: m i l i e u said...

Dear Dean, Joni & young Noah Finn,

The warmest of newborn Birthday and Christmas congratulations to you all! Jodie & I have just seen what a beautiful little boy you have
and I must admit mate that it's left me feeling very broody. We've just spent X'mas with my sister and her 5 month old boy and all I did was speak baby-talk and melt like butter every time he smiled at me!

From the little time I spent with you Dean I know that you're going to be a wonderful father. I sincerely hope our paths cross again one day so that I can finally meet the other two lovely people that complete your trio - there's every chance I may return to LA in the future so I'll be sure to give you a shout and say hello.

Well Jode, myself and a few friends are swapping the grey cityscapes of London for a log cabin in the South of France tomorrow to see in the new year with a week of mountain hiking and fine food & wine - I'll be sure to drink a toast to the health of your new arrival my friend.

Wishing you and your family a glittering and prosperous 2009,

Andy & Jodie xx

m a m a :: m i l i e u said...

congratulations, mom and dad! i'm very excited for you guys! please keep everyone posted.

i love you guys...and welcome, dj noah! :D

SouL

m a m a :: m i l i e u said...

Congratulations To you, Dean and Joni and welcome Noah to our wonderful world.

Noah and i share the same birthday, wow that's excellent, i'm sure he will have a passion for music, glad to hear he is home safely now,
Bless your new family for 2009 and we look forward to meeting Noah sometime in the near future, p.s Arielle is 4 and a half years old now, even more beautiful and even more cheeky.

Love to you all

Eric, Marina and Arielle.

m a m a :: m i l i e u said...

Your baby is beautiful. I just read your blog and am happy everything turned out good in the end. And I’m very proud of you and Dean. Delivering such a big, health baby without drugs or tearing is simply amazing. You must have an enormous vagina!

Love you! I can’t wait to see you guys. Let me know when you’re accepting visitors.

EddieJoe

m a m a :: m i l i e u said...

congrats to you and joni and noah! best wishes and happy new year!

sean.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin